Our annual yearly holiday is something we all look forward to as it gives us the chance to escape from our daily lives and embark upon a week or two of much-needed rest and relaxation. For those of us who have pets, there are usually a few extra considerations we need to make before packing our cases and heading off to the airport.
There are several ways in which you could make sure that your dog is well looked after whilst you’re away which we aim to cover in this article. Whether you’re a fan of kennels or dog sitting, you’re sure to gain an insight into the other options available to you.
Leave Your Dog with Friends or Family
Chances are, someone you know will either own a dog themselves or wish they did. Handing over your dog to someone you can trust for a week or two is a great alternative to traditional dog sitting methods.
Of course, your intended temporary carer will need to understand just how much responsibility will be heaped upon them but as long as they’re familiar with your dog, this shouldn’t be a problem.
- Leaving your dog with friends or family will be much cheaper than leaving them in a kennel. Depending on your relationship, usually, you’ll only be required to leave enough money for food.
Hire a Dog Sitter
Not all of us are in a position to leave our dogs with people we know for any length of time which is why pet sitting has become so popular. Simply find a pet sitter experienced with dogs and they’ll happily take care of your loved one for as long as you need them to.
You can even hire a dog sitter to stay in your home whilst your away, the benefits to which are obvious.
- Your house will be occupied during the day and overnight, reducing the likelihood of suffering a break in because your property is vacant.
- Your dog sitter will be able to look after your house for you and complete basic tasks such as making sure it receives enough ventilation.
- Best of all, your dog will remain in familiar surroundings, hopefully making them easier to get along with.
Make Use of a Dog Kennel
Sometimes the tried and tested options are the best. Dog kennels specialize in looking after all types of dogs for varying amounts of time, making them best placed to make sure that your dog receives the care they need. If you’re in New South Wales, simply locate your nearest dog kennels in Sydney and let them run you through what they offer. Most will even have an onsite vet for any emergencies.
In addition, a dog kennel will offer;
- A chance for your dog to socialize with others of all ages and breeds.
- A great opportunity for your dog to undergo specialist training, perfect if they’re still young.
Whatever you decide to do, the key is in making sure that your furry friend is well looked after until you return.