What Not To Feed Your Dog

Once your beloved pooch has worked their way into your heart (and everyone else’s), it can sometimes be hard to resist those big puppy dog eyes looking up at you whilst you are enjoying a meal or snack.

But it’s important to know what foods you should completely avoid giving to your pooch, as a lot of foods that are perfectly fine for humans are toxic to your pet.

Here is a list of different types of food that can be toxic for dogs (you can also check out http://wag-club.co.uk/)

Dairy – Dogs can’t process dairy milk as efficiently as us humans. Feeding your dog cow’s milk can cause tummy upsets. The same applies to yoghurt, cheese and ice-cream.

Chocolate – Chocolate contains a toxin called theobromine. We can metabolise theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system. If your dog eats chocolate they may have an upset stomach with the risk of vomiting or diarrhoea.

Nuts – Macadamia nuts are really dangerous for dogs. They cause weakness, tremors, swollen limbs, vomiting and raised body temperature around 12 hours after ingestion. Other nuts are fine, but they can block their throat due to the shape. It’s best to avoid nuts unless it’s peanut butter but in the spread form.

Grapes and raisins– They are one of the most dangerous types of foods your dog can eat. By consuming just four grapes or raisins can cause irreversible kidney damage to your pooch. Symptoms kick in quickly causing vomiting, diarrhoea, and abdominal pain. They also might stumble when trying to walk.

Onions, garlic, and chives – When your dog consumes as little as a teaspoon of powdered, raw, cooked, or any other form of garlic, onions, or chives it will cause serious health problems. It destroys your dog’s blood cells, causing anaemia and irreparable harm to their kidneys. Signs of this are weakness, breathlessness, tiredness, and experience vomiting and blood in their urine.

Avocado – As much as we love our avocado, it isn’t good for our dogs. The avocado contains persin in the fruit, leaves, seed, and bark. It causes a variety of dangerous side effects for dogs – including vomiting, diarrhoea, and difficulty breathing.

Tomato plants – The tomato plant contains atropine and tomatine, it cause symptoms such as dilated pupils, tremors, seizures, vomiting, drooling and diarrhoea. In some cases, consuming the plant part has caused comas and death in dogs. If you do give your dog tomato, do it in very small amounts, make sure the fruit is ripe and red.

Mushrooms – Certain types of wild mushrooms can be poisonous and fatal. If your dog has eaten a toxic mushroom, they may begin to show symptoms such as wheezing, vomiting, diarrhoea, and changes in the heartbeat.

Mouldy food – If your dog has a naughty habit of helping themselves to midnight snacks from raiding your bin you need to take steps to avoid this. Mould toxins can make your dog really poorly.

Artificial Sweetener (Xylitol) – Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia in dogs. It’s commonly found in human diet drinks and treats. But you should check the labels of any food you are offering your dog (including peanut butter) in case it contains this toxin.

Keep your dog safe and always administer what they are eating and if you are unsure, it’s safer to not give it to them.

You might also like More from author

Comments are closed.